Friday 4 September 2015

September 2015 - Juv GBBGU - 1st of the year

September 25th

It is not unusual for Black Headed Gulls to turn up with an injured foot, there are about a dozen in the park at the moment, but it is sad when it is a Coloured ringed bird.  27H0, a regular at the park for the last 2 years, turned up with an injured leg.  Nothing to do with the ring, these injuries happen frequently, some recover, lets hope 27H0 does too.

September 20th

There was a huge fire on Irelands Eye at the end of June this year.  About 30 Great Black Backed Pullus were coloured ringed the week before.  I had hoped that they were not all lost.  Today at Howth I re-sighted 1 of them.  Blue[3JU], a first sighting for me!

Great Black Backed Gull - 3JU
Also at Howth I spotted a metal ring on an adult Herring Gull GC29139.  I hadn't recorded it since July 2013. It was ringed by Oscar Merne in 2006.

Broadmeadows produced nothing of note.  I have decided after todays visit, that there are no cygnets surviving at this location, but if anyone knows different, please let me know.

September 19th

Tymon Park this afternoon, I spotted a metal ring on a Black Headed Gull.  Camera out quickly and a few shots before they were put up and it did not to reappear.  However photos show the full ring and it is a surprise.  Denmark 6J-4103 was ringed in May 2013 in Holbeak (that is the Island Copenhagen is on).  I have seen it 4 times before in 2013 and 2014, but only in Sean Walsh Park.  It is a first record in Tymon Park and a first sighting for me of this Black Headed Gull in 2015.
Thank you Jesper and Kjeld for ringing it!

Metal ringed Black Headed Gull in Tymon Park, Dublin

Denmark 6J-4103 on Black Headed Gull

September 14th

There are many juvenile large Gulls in the parks at this time of year.  I have wondered if they are all from Urban nests.  Today I spotted a metal ring and thought this will give me some data.



Unfortunately before I could get the full code they were disturbed!  GR98*41.  1 digit missing.  It appears to be a 3 or an 8, I will try again tomorrow!

September 5th

Tymon Park, Tallaght.  150 Black Headed Gulls and not a coloured ring among them again.  I did spot 2 metal rings and although both stayed some distance away, photographs were enough to piece the BTO ring number together - EZ03404.  It turns out it was ringed by my ringing group in January 2015 at the exact same location!  Never got a chance to read the other ring completely but it wasn't BTO.  The 3 digits I read match a Finish Black Headed Gull I have read there a few times before, so I tried again on Sunday and will keep trying.


September 4th

When I arrived in Sean Walsh Park I spotted a yellow Darvic on a Black Headed Gull.I walked casually around the far side of the lake without setting them up and photographed Yellow[217G].
I have sighted this Black Headed Gull in Tallaght before but this is a first for Sean Walsh Park.


The Black Headed Gull Y[217G] is from Lough Mask in the west of Ireland




The Black Headed Gull 27H0 from England which has been absent for 2 weeks also made an appearance.




No comments:

Post a Comment